+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cornerback in the first round?

I read an article on ESPN.com where John Clayton said that he thinks there are 10 cornerbacks that could go in the first 2 rounds. We know that Reese likes to take the best player available and if there's really as many good CBs as Clayton says there's a decent chance that the BPA at 32 is a CB, especially if some drop as teams trade up to get QBs. Do you think Reese would pick CBs in the first round 2 years in a row? We have 4 or 5 CBs that are free agents this year, including Ross and Thomas. If we can't resign either Ross or TT (or both) and 1 or 2 of the backups, CB might be a good first round pick.

Re: Cornerback in the first round?

why not

Veteran

if a cb is the best player available when we pick

What part of 'best talent available' is hard to understand? That is what the first and second rounds are all about.

Veteran

[quote user="Giants10Joe"]I read an article on ESPN.com where John Clayton said that he thinks there are 10 cornerbacks that could go in the first 2 rounds. We know that Reese likes to take the best player available and if there's really as many good CBs as Clayton says there's a decent chance that the BPA at 32 is a CB, especially if some drop as teams trade up to get QBs. Do you think Reese would pick CBs in the first round 2 years in a row? We have 4 or 5 CBs that are free agents this year, including Ross and Thomas. If we can't resign either Ross or TT (or both) and 1 or 2 of the backups, CB might be a good first round pick.
    [/quote]

Considering what happened to the CB position this year, I would definitely be fine with grabbing a talented prospect, if he is the best available.

I was thrilled with how the defense turned it around last season...but in a conference with Rodgers and Brees, quality CBs are a must.

Assuming we get TT back....Webster,TT,Prince,Rookie?
    I'm not fond of having a 1st round pick on the bench.....
    With all those injuries & possibly Ross not coming back, I'm all for CB depth......but idk about the 1st round,much rather wait 2nd-4th....
    I see Oline,LB,TE as bigger needs......DT,S,& RB depth also needed

[quote user="myles2424"]Assuming we get TT back....Webster,TT,Prince,Rookie?
    With all those injuries & possibly Ross not coming back, I'm all for CB depth......but idk about the 1st round,much rather wait 2nd-4th....
    I see Oline,LB,TE as bigger needs......DT,S,& RB depth also needed[/quote]

I'm not so sure about DT, S, and RB being depth needs...

DT: Canty, Linval Joseph, Marvin Austin, (maybe a 4th from draft)
    S: Rolle, Phillips, Sash, and Chad Jones
    RB: Unless they plan to do something with Jacobs, it's still Bradshaw and Jacobs (No.1 and No. 2), D. Ware, Da'Rel Scott, and Andre Brown in the practice squad.

[quote user="myles2424"]Assuming we get TT back....Webster,TT,Prince,Rookie?
    I see Oline,LB,TE as bigger needs......DT,S,& RB depth also needed[/quote]

I agree. I would rather see an Reese take an offensive lineman or linebacker in the first round. I was just pointing out that this draft class is supposedly deep at CB and that makes it likely that the BPA is a CB, but that's not something I've really seen people discuss much.

[quote user="NYGRealityCheck"][quote user="myles2424"]Assuming we get TT back....Webster,TT,Prince,Rookie?
    I see Oline,LB,TE as bigger needs......DT,S,& RB depth also needed[/quote] I said "depth" not immediate needs....
    But just for the hell of it....
    Marvin Austin, he's basically going to be a unproven rookie this season that's a few years out of football & fresh off IR....if something happened to canty or linval would you comfortable with that?
    Safety, Phillips has been solid as well as Rolle......but, not game changing or near worth his paycheck.....sash,did the guy even play this year? And did you really mention Chad jones? I wish the best to the kid,but let's be realistic... We have two legit Safeties, nothing wrong with upgrading our depth there...
    RB,Bradshaw seems to be playing hurt every season.....Jacobs isn't the same & with his big payday due he'll be forced to take a pay cut or leave....ware shows nothing to be deserving of a spot on a team that was once a dominant running team....Scott,another rookie that's unseen....and Andre brown has had a bad injury past since early in his college career....

Depth is much needed at these spots.....

Oline,LB,TE being the bigger needs obviously...

I'm not so sure about DT, S, and RB being immediate needs...

DT: Canty, Linval Joseph, Marvin Austin
    S: Rolle, Phillips, Sash, and Chad Jones
    RB: Unless they plan to do something with Jacobs, it's still Bradshaw and Jacobs (No.1 and No. 2), D. Ware, Da'Rel Scott, and Andre Brown in the practice squad.[/quote]

I like it! With a great pass rush and improved depth and quality at CB...that's a great recipe for a top flight defense!